Marinated Eggplant with Tomato Relish, Mozzarella & Herbs
Chef Tom Colicchio
Tomato Relish Directions
- Pour the olive oil into a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and sautée until golden brown. Add the sugar and curry powder and cook for 5 minutes. Add the vinegar to deglaze the pan. Add the tomatoes, oregano, salt and pepper to taste and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and pour the contents into a strainer, stirring the relish to drain most of the liquid. Transfer to a cutting board and roughly chop. Transfer to a medium bowl and mix in the parsley and mustard seeds, checking the seasoning and adjusting if necessary. Store refrigerated for up to 1 week.
- Chop all of the herbs and set aside.
- Plump golden raisins by soaking in warm water for 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Mix the olive oil with half of the herbs, half of the jalapeños and half of the lime juice to create the marinade. Season the eggplant with salt and pepper and add to the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Remove eggplant from marinade and set marinade aside. Grill eggplant over indirect heat until it has softened and cooked through. Return the eggplant to the marinade along with the golden raisins and toss with the remaining herbs, jalapeños and lime juice. Let cool to room temperature.
- Spread tomato relish along bottom half of Sandwich Thins roll and place marinated eggplant on top. Add sliced mozzarella and top with roll lid.