Grilled White Cheddar with Pears, Walnut Pesto & Cranberry Mustard
Chef Tom Colicchio
Walnut Pesto Directions
- Preheat the oven to 300° F.
- Spread walnuts on a sheet pan and toast in the oven until fragrant. Transfer walnuts to a food processor and roughly chop. Slowly add the oil and continue to process until you have a spreadable (but not too smooth) pesto; the walnuts release their own oils so be patient while adding oil. Season with salt and pepper and refrigerate for up to one week.
Cranberry Mustard Directions
- Plump cranberries by soaking in warm water for 30 minutes. Drain and roughly chop. Add to grain mustard, stir together and refrigerate.
Grilled Cheese Directions
- Spread the walnut pesto on 4 slices of bread. Add 1 slice of cheese to each, then sliced pears, then last pieces of cheese. Top with cranberry mustard and second slice of bread.
- In a medium skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Place sandwiches one at a time in skillet and cook for 3-5 minutes before flipping (check for color and temperature: cheese should be melted and bread golden). If the bread is sticking, allow to cook slightly longer and it will unstick itself.
- Remove from skillet, pat dry of any excess olive oil, cut in half and serve.