Ingredients (1 serving)
Marinated Fennel Directions:
- Remove the stalks from the fennel and reserve the fronds. Using a mandolin slicer or sharp knife, thinly slice the fennel crosswise starting from the top. In a large bowl, toss the fennel slices with the oil, lemon juice and reserved fronds. Season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside at room temperature to marinate for 10 minutes.
Roasted Red Pepper Directions:
- Char the peppers over as high an open flame as possible (on the stove or grill) until the skin is black but not brittle. Transfer the peppers to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap – the steaming effect will help loosen the skin.
- Once slightly cooled, remove the skin, seeds and stems. Slice the peppers lengthwise into strips about ¼ inch wide and place in a medium bowl with the garlic, rosemary, basil and oil. Season well with salt and pepper. Can be refrigerated and kept for up to 1 week.
- Combine the tahini, lemon juice and garlic in a food processor and lightly pulse. Add the chickpeas and purée until smooth. With food processor running, drizzle in ¼ cup olive oil. If the hummus is too thick, add a small amount of the chickpea liquid to thin it out. For smoother hummus, remove the chickpea skins prior to processing. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toss the watercress in ¼ teaspoon olive oil and set aside.
- Evenly spread the hummus onto 4 slices of bread. Top with the roasted red pepper, then the fennel and lastly the dressed watercress. Top with remaining slices of bread and serve whole.