Ingredients (4 Servings)
- 8 slices Arnold Buttermilk® bread
- 8 slices White Cheddar cheese
- 2 Bartlett pears, peeled, cored and sliced
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Walnut pesto (recipe follows)
- Cranberry mustard (recipe follows)
- Walnut Pesto Ingredients:
- 2 cups walnuts
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cranberry Mustard Ingredients:
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup grain mustard
Walnut Pesto Directions:
- Preheat the oven to 300° F.
- Spread walnuts on a sheet pan and toast in the oven until fragrant. Transfer walnuts to a food processor and roughly chop. Slowly add the oil and continue to process until you have a spreadable (but not too smooth) pesto; the walnuts release their own oils so be patient while adding oil. Season with salt and pepper and refrigerate for up to one week.
Cranberry Mustard Directions:
- Plump cranberries by soaking in warm water for 30 minutes. Drain and roughly chop. Add to grain mustard, stir together and refrigerate.
Grilled Cheese Directions:
- Spread the walnut pesto on 4 slices of bread. Add 1 slice of cheese to each, then sliced pears, then last pieces of cheese. Top with cranberry mustard and second slice of bread.
- In a medium skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Place sandwiches one at a time in skillet and cook for 3-5 minutes before flipping (check for color and temperature: cheese should be melted and bread golden). If the bread is sticking, allow to cook slightly longer and it will unstick itself.
- Remove from skillet, pat dry of any excess olive oil, cut in half and serve.