Escape to Costa Rica Breakfast Sandwich
4 slices of Arnold 100% Whole Wheat bread
1 ripe plantain
1 tbsp. + ½ tsp coconut oil
⅛ tsp. salt
¼ c. almond milk
¼ c. black beans, rinsed
1 large handful fresh spinach
½ tsp. garlic powder
¼ tsp. cumin
⅛ tsp. pepper
½ large avocado, sliced
¼ cup crumbled queso fresco
- Peel the plantain, then slice the plantain on the diagonal into thin slices.
- In a sauté pan on medium high heat, add 1 tbsp. of coconut oil and heat until melted.
- Next, add the plantain slices and cook on each side for about 3-4 minutes, or until the plantains are golden brown.
- Once the plantains are cooked, remove from heat, season with ⅛ tsp of salt, and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs with almond milk.
- Next, coat the pan with the remaining ½ tsp of coconut oil add the egg mixture, beans, spinach, garlic powder, cumin, remaining ⅛ tsp of salt, and pepper to the sauté pan.
- Scramble the eggs until desired doneness then remove from pan.
- Toast the 4 slices of bread in the sauté pan until the bread is crisp.
- Then, remove the slices of bread from heat and turn off the stove.
- To assemble the sandwiches, spread half of the avocado slices on one piece of bread.
- Top this with half of the scrambled egg and bean mixture, half of the sliced plantains, and half of the crumbled queso fresco. Finally, top with another piece of bread.
- Repeat this with the two remaining slices of bread.
- Once both sandwiches are assembled, slice, and enjoy!
ESTA RECETA ESTA HECHA CON